Everyone is worried about how their personal data is used. Heck, we worry about it too. Because we get international visitors to our site, we wanted to take a moment to clarify for our EU visitors how we use data.
- We use tracking cookies. Regardless of the scary things you read in news stories, a cookie basically functions like a traffic counter on a highway. All that’s captured is that a car drove over the counter and not WHO is in the car or even WHAT the car is. The same holds true with cookies and websites. We know that SOMEONE visited the website – and even where they came from (in terms of zip or postal code).
- These cookies tell us what parts of the website you’re visiting and what you’re reading. That helps us, as site owners, continuously refine our content. What do you like? What should we write more of?
- If you see ads on our site, they’re also using cookies to match up what WE have written on the site to THEIR ad inventory. As the site owners, we don’t even KNOW if YOU click it. All we know is that it gets clicked.
Here’s the fancy legal stuff:
Except as disclosed in this Privacy and Disclosure Statement, we do not sell, trade, rent, or otherwise retransmit any Personally Identifiable Information we collect online unless we have your permission.
In unusual circumstances, we could be required to provide Personally Identifiable Information in response to court order, subpoena, or government investigation. We may release Personally Identifiable Information when we believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of others and ourselves.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the website, read pages, or download information, we will gather and store certain information that does not identify you personally. We may collect and store the following information about your visit:
• The Internet domain (for example, “company.com” if you use a private Internet access account, or “your_organization.org” and an IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our website;
• The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
• The date and time you access our site;
• The pages you visit; and
• The URL of the referring page.
We use this information to help us improve our website — to learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use.
To ensure that this website remains available to all users, this computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Links to Other Web Sites
The information posted on the Digital Analytics 101 website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. The LBC provides these links and pointers solely for your information and convenience. When you select a link to an outside Web site, you are subject to the privacy, copyright, security, and information quality policies of that Web site. Digital Analytics 101:
• DOES NOT control or guarantee the accuracy, legality, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked Web site;
• DOES NOT endorse linked Web sites, the views they express, or the products/services they offer;
• CANNOT authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites;
• IS NOT responsible for transmissions users receive from linked Web sites;
• DOES NOT guarantee that outside Web sites comply with the accessibility requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
If you find a link that does not work please e-mail us.
Reference herein to any specific commercial products, processes, or services by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Digital Analytics 101.
With respect to documents available from this server, neither Digital Analytics 101 does not make any warranty, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Further, Digital Analytics 101 does not assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product or process disclosed; nor do they represent that its use would not infringe privately owned rights.